Empire strikes back
If you look hard enough there is something interesting to see, to speak, to study, every single day. Today was an interesting day. For me. Mostly in the spoken sense and from a work perspective.

Today we had a 'reorganization' We haven't had one for quite some time - about six months - so I guess one was due. This interesting reorganization was merging two rather large empires into one much larger empire. So now the head honcho really is the big cheese. Not only that , he's my big cheese - assuming that someone, who reports to someone, who reports to someone, who reports to someone, thinks that "I'm worth it". I hope they do.

There's a hymn that is sometimes sung "Lord for the Years" which talks (sings) about praying for the Empire (later versions downsized this to Commonwealth). I've never liked it. I like more Spike Milligan's comment on receiving his CBE: "I can't see the sense in it [his honorary CBE] really. It makes me a Commander of the British Empire. They might as well make me a Commander of Milton Keynes - at least that exists.

Beware of captaining big empires which might (no, which will) one day crumble.

Comments:
Don't worry Steve, I've always used Keats as my guide...remember Ozymandias, king of kings, "two vast and trunkless legs of stone" standing in the desert with a half buried inscription - "look on my works ye mighty and despair".

Sic transit gloria mundi.

Humbly.
 
"So passes the glory of the world" for those friends with limited Latin.....
 
Of course I meant Shelley, not Keats...which sort of proves the point.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Counters
. .