Believe it or not

This has been passed down my family tree:

"Believe only half of what you see and nothing of what you hear".

Apparently this can be traced back as far as Alfred in the 1300's.
And is still true today.
I don't think my family tree goes back to Alfred, in case you were wondering. But it must go back to the 1300's - unless we were suddenly begat out of thin air.

Back to the advice. So good I'll repeat it:

"Believe only half of what you see and nothing of what you hear".

A famous poet also wrote this advice to a young man:
"You are younger yet ... but the time will arrive when you will learn to judge for yourself.... Believe nothing you hear, and only one half that you see."

He also wrote something along the following lines (in a poem):

For the moon never beams, without bringing me dreams
Of the wonderful Stevie G.
And the stars never rise, but I feel the bright eyes
Of the wonderful Stevie G.

What insight! What a poet!

Comments:
"Believe only half of what you see and nothing of what you hear".
Good rule of thumb for tabloid readers, except that since the advent of computer graphics packages it needs updating: "Don't believe anything". Now that's a profound philosophy - I think it's called nihilism. Let's face it we may as well all read "The Sport" -page 3 all the way through! ... er ... so am I told.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Counters
. .