Rain Drops
Today I saw the biggest raindrops that I'd seen for ages, falling out of a very dark almost black cloud. I'm not really sure why raindrops come in different sizes, but these were definitely big. They landed on my dirty car - but didn't really create any cleaning. Maybe it would be a good idea to invent a self cleaning car, rather like a self cleaning oven. I'm not really sure if self cleaning ovens work. I do know that when I got in my dirty car the other day it felt like an oven. Maybe it would be good to have a self cooling oven, I mean car. My house seems to clean itself, and stay cool. I go to work , leaving a messy house, I come back, it's clean. Unlike the office, which doesn't appear to have been cleaned or cooled for an age. Work has done quite a bit of thinking about size though, called right-sizing. I think the right size for a raindrop is about 1.2mm. However, on further investigation I discover that "Different sources approximate different ranges for the measure of a diameter of a raindrop. However, on the average, a raindrop is between 0.1 to 5 millimeters. There are some exceptions; rarely, raindrops of 8 millimeters were known to occur. Sizes larger than that do not normally occur because the raindrop particles simply break up or collide with other neighboring particles. The appearance of large raindrops always signals strong updrafts and turbulence. Presently, precipitation is believed to be triggered by a course of action called the collision-coalescence process. Most cloud droplets are extremely small that the motion of the air keeps them suspended. Because large cloud droplets fall much faster than smaller droplets, they are able to sweep up the smaller ones in their path and thus grow and expand in size and volume. Several important factors affect the diameter or size of a raindrop. First, the fall velocity of a raindrop particle is directly proportional to its diameter. The larger the particle, the faster it falls. The same follows for the maximum fall distance before evaporation, or the process in which a liquid turns into a gas. The larger the diameter, the greater the distance it will fall due to gravity, the force that pulls a water droplet toward the earth's surface."

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Counters
. .